Sunday, September 13, 2009

Interview_Communication Assignment #1

The interviewee’s name is Michael and he is the English partner of my friend. He is a senior student in sociology. As he has several English partners, the conversations he recently struck up are mostly with international students. Generally, they just started by introducing themselves. He thinks that he will shake hands in either formal or informal circumstances and he hardly use “How do you do” even in formal circumstances. When it comes to shaking hands, it depends. If other person is sitting down, you do not have to stand up, but typically, people will stand up to shake hands. He would start a conversation when in the class or in a formal situation, such as a dinner, when you need to introduce yourself to other people. In class, it is common to strike up a conversation when asking questions, introducing yourself and talking about the course.

I would talk with some people I did not know when I want to ask something or when I think they need my help. Also, when in a meeting or a picnic, I would talk about the content of the meeting with people who sit next to me. In my opinion, when talking with others, I can know other people, share some interests and learn the culture of other countries. Recently, when I was working in my office, one student came in to looking for another TA who was not there because she missed the first class and did not know when and where the tutoring would be held. Luckily, I am in the same class with her, and I told her the office hours of that TA and it seems there is no fixed tutoring time.

4 comments:

  1. It's good for you to have your conversation partner! Shaking hands is really the very custom in the US. By the way, why is Chinese language here shown to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Gang: Sorry, my OS is using Chinese, so the default language of my blog is Chinese. I have already fixed it. Thank you for your notification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice talk! Michael knows a lot about China! It is great for you to have a place in TA office and enjor the friendly enviroment there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! Micheal is also my english paterner. That's interesting and coincident.

    ReplyDelete